Radiation Day 1

I had my first radiation treatment today. I was kind of nervous because I wasn’t sure what to expect but it was ok. I had the CT simulation last week and that’s when I got my radiation tattoos. I have six little dot tattoos on my chest which they use to line you up with the radiation machine. It didn’t hurt when they put them on and after getting two actual tattoos in the past, the dots were a piece of cake to get. You can barely even see them. The actual radiation treatment only takes about a minute. It takes longer just to get set up. I’m not looking forward to the side effects though. The main side effects the nurse went over with me today were fatigue and skin irritation. I still remember the fatigue from chemo and I just don’t want to feel that way again especially with a 7 year old. I also hope my skin doesn’t get too irritated but I have seen pictures and it doesn’t look pretty. It looks like a really bad sunburn.

I’m also not supposed to wear anything scented and I have to switch to a natural deodorant. I’m not thrilled about that because I know someone who used to wear Tom’s deodorant and I have to say that it didn’t work. I’m not a sweaty person so I’m hoping it won’t be too bad. I’m not supposed to shave (which to be honest I never had to in the first place because I never really grew armpit hair, weird right?) or rub my skin with a washcloth. I have to just let the water and soap wash over my breast after washing my hair. The worst part is that they told me to expect breast shrinkage. My right breast is already smaller than the left after the surgery so it sucks that my boobs may look even more asymmetrical. Hopefully it doesn’t happen but I guess I’ll know for sure after 6 weeks. That’s right, 6 weeks of radiation. I have to go 5 days a week for 6 weeks. A bonus is that I get to go bra shopping. Apparently I can’t wear underwire bras which is what I like wearing.

Radiation and bra shopping will at least provide me with some distraction. I’m not gonna lie; I have been having a really tough time since the breakup. I have to get myself out of this funk because it doesn’t do me any good but it’s definitely not easy. It was 11 years of love that doesn’t just go away. I just wish I had a better distraction than radiation. Keeping up with my son’s activities helps and I love having this time off to take care of him. I’ll have to plan something special for us before I go back to work.


Almost forgot to tell you that I had my brain MRI and there was no evidence of metastatic disease in my brain! Yay! I need to keep having positive things happen for me. I recently started doing acupuncture and I hope that helps me maintain a positive energy. So cheers to a clear brain MRI and positive thoughts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Adventures with Blood Thinners

Sticks and Stones

Hair Stylings