What?....An Actual Update?

I went a whole month without a blog entry. July has been a hectic month for me. So many things have happened. I moved away and then I moved back. There's a good reason why I moved back but I'm just not ready to talk about it yet. I just feel a little dumb for being so indecisive but I know that this decision can bring many good things my way and I am so ready for something good to happen. These past few months have been more stressful than usual. Between cancer and other issues my anxiety has been at an all time high but I think it's finally coming back down. The main source of my anxiety isn't even cancer right now, it's the politics of going on short term disability due to my side effects and stress. Apparently for some people having cancer isn't a good enough reason. Don't they realize that they're constant intimidation just makes my side effects worse? I need this time to relax and heal. Pretty soon, I will go back to work. I'm looking forward to caring for my patients though because I love being a nurse but from now on, I'm just going to keep to myself at work. I'm going to do my job, give the best care to my patients and come home. Not too many people even made an effort to keep in contact with me anyway so I don't think it will be that difficult. 

In an effort to relax and get away for awhile I went to visit my friend in the Los Angeles area. We went to an outdoor concert, hiking, relaxed on the patio, went to Catalina Island and took Cruz to Disneyland for a day. It was a busy few days but it really did help me take my mind off all the stress that the month of July brought to me. The month of July was also filled with a lot of pain. Both emotional and physical. My liver pain has increased over the past month and so have my body and muscle aches. I think being on my treatment of Herceptin and Perjeta is finally starting to catch up to me and I feel like the side effects get worse every month now. I get so many muscle twitches and cramps now which are annoying and sometimes painful. But, at least I'm alive and stable. I haven't had to change my treatment in almost 3 years which is a true blessing. But I have also had many friends die in the past few months. Many of them around my age and that is just unacceptable. I'm only going to be 35 years old on August 12. I've been living with metastatic breast cancer since I was 31 and it isn't fair. It's not fair for anyone to have to go though this. I'm lucky that I'm still here though. Statistics say I should be dead right now but I AM NOT a statistic. 

I'm going to continue to live each day to the fullest and try to enjoy each day that I have with Cruz. I'll continue my treatments and if I have to change treatments in the future then that's what I'll do. I trust my oncologist and her staff and I know that I can do this for as long as it takes. I have no choice but to keep moving forward. Especially since in a few weeks here I'll be going back to school to get my Master's Degree. I need to be here so I can walk on that stage in two years to get my Master's Degree as a Family Nurse Practitioner. I'm truly hopeful that I'll be around to get that degree. I can't wait!

I'll leave you with this picture of the Golden Gate Bridge. I cross this bridge all the time to go to UCSF for my cancer treatments.


Golden Gate Bridge


Comments

  1. I hope all goes well with your degree! Sorry to hear about all of the stress, I hope you find some zen soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Adventures with Blood Thinners

Sticks and Stones

Hair Stylings