Dating With Cancer

How exactly does that work? I’ve been in a somewhat one-sided relationship for the past 11 years and it’s recently officially come to an end (Yes, I can hear all the “I told you so’s”). I’m relieved and sad at the same time. It took up a large part of my life and I got one awesome son out of the whole deal. If I had to do it over again I would (except for maybe the last 6 years). Sad I know. I think it was pretty much over when my son was about 3 ½ months old but you stay because you had just gone through a life and death situation, so you’re vulnerable and you have a child together. I wouldn’t say the times were all bad but when someone doesn’t love you, it’s time to move on. I’m definitely not ready to date (although apparently he had a date lined up the moment it was declared over) but if it does happen I don’t know what the rules are.


How soon do you tell someone you have Stage IV breast cancer? Do you tell them the significance of that diagnosis? Is it even fair to date knowing that your time may be limited? How much do you let them know about you and when? I’m not even looking forward to dating. I’ve always been a shy person and I don’t tend to throw myself out there. For now, I am happy to dedicate my life to my son. This doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t be nice to have love in my life. In fact, I would love to have a partner that loves me. I miss having “butterflies”, but at this point I’m not even considering it as an option. It’s all very confusing. All I know is that having a supportive partner is essential when going through a cancer diagnosis and I haven’t had that luxury so far. Any ideas?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Adventures with Blood Thinners

Sticks and Stones

Hair Stylings